Monday, October 23, 2017

meatballs, improved


We get our ground beef from someone we know who has a dairy farm, and the meat is rather lean - because they're dairy cows? I don't know. Anyway, it make for dry-ish meatballs. I once tried adding olive oil but it made no difference. Then one day I thought of adding some oats, my reasoning being that oatmeal is slimy and that might be a good thing. Well, it worked!

I put in about two tablespoons per cup, with everything else the same. The only time it doesn't work is when I forget to add it.

3 comments:

  1. Good thinking! The oats will bind the the meatball together as well as moistening it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clare, I still kept the rest of the ingredients the same: the eggs, bread crumbs, etc. But, yes, they have a different way of binding it together than just the bread.

      Delete
  2. That's clever! We buy our beef from a local farmer, too, and his is grass-fed. The beef that is widely sold otherwise is corn-fed and very fatty. Grass-fed beef is lean. I sometimes have to add a little fat when I'm just frying ground beef. I've read that grass-fed beef is much better for you and a smaller carbon footprint than corn fed :)

    ReplyDelete