Saturday, February 6, 2016

the past few days

I'm joining Rosie and Leila today -

The snowstorm passed through yesterday and when the sun emerged -


beautiful. For a while, the sun shone but the sky was darkish blue - so pretty.

So, I ended up having the whole day off - it wasn't worth opening the library at two when we close early on Fridays anyway. But before I knew that, and when we were just planning to open late, that cozy feeling which snowfalls always bring came over me and I heated up enough almond milk for all my co-workers, added cocoa, brown sugar and some spices.  Put it in two canning jars and wrapped them up so they wouldn't knock against each other.


And then I got the call we were closing.  I'll have to drink it all - my brother can't eat almond. It was a good thought, anyway.

After telling someone yesterday that I don't bother with plants because the cats love sitting on our only sunny windowsill, I came home from the supermarket today with a basil plant.  I just was unable to resist it - organic, and on sale!


I hope I can keep it going till April when I set up the greenhouse.


I just finished the new Jane Austen mystery by Stephanie Barron; I love this series - they're very cleverly done. And that's what I've been up to these last few days.

8 comments:

  1. I enlarged the first photo--How beautiful! Yes, those deep blue skies in winter. I love your hot chocolate idea--how sweet of you. I'd be one charmed co-worker if someone brought that into my workplace! :) Maybe freeze some into cubes to add to [I-don't-know-what-all-you-drink-]? :) They'd be so good in iced coffee if you drink that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so beautiful! Was glad to read this! a kind thought for your library colleagues!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Lisa, your snowy landscape is beautiful. I hope the basil thrives in that nice spot and Henry and Dolly can resist it. That was such a nice thought for your co-workers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose I should have looked it up to see if basil disagrees with cats, but I've never read that it does.

      Delete
  4. Your recent days sound lovely! That photo of the snowy landscape and your red shed is breathtaking. And, I like the idea of almond milk hot cocoa--sounds yummy! Will you share the recipe? Basil grows like a weed for most people, but I can never keep it alive. I wonder what I'm doing wrong? I love a good mystery (and Jane Austen); I'm going to check look for that series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, the first one is called "Jane and the Unpleasantness at Scargrave Manor" and it's best to read them in order!

      I generally measure out one cup of almond milk; the amount of cocoa I put in depends on how much caffeine-feeling I'm wanting. :D - between one and two teaspoons. (this was two) The brown sugar amount is iffy - for two tsps. I put in maybe one teaspoon of it?
      On a whim, I recently splurged on some vanilla spice sugar from an Etsy shop called Fezziwigs Trading Co., so I put a bit of that in it, too. Then, I just heat it till it's steaming, whisking constantly, because cocoa is so stubborn about dissolving easily.

      Delete
  5. Your snow looks lovely! And I trust so was the unexpected day off! That cocoa sounds delish! I wish I could have helped you with it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that snowy picture! I haven't heard of Stephanie Barron before; I'll see if I can get one of her books. I do enjoy reading Jane Austen's novels.

    ReplyDelete