Saturday, November 29, 2014

just what I needed

no, it isn't dirty - it's some kind of spatterware

This thing has been hanging out in the kitchen for many years. It's made of tin, and has a screw top with little holes. My mother used to put some powder in it - was it talc?  Anyway, I've been ignoring it, only giving it momentary attention when I dust.

Today, I'm making Leila's bread recipe and in her photos she's got a small jar nearby with flour in it. I thought I needed something similar to be able to shake flour on the counter and the dough, rather than getting my sticky hands into the canister. And then I suddenly remembered this little thing! I looked inside. Yes, it was flour in there - probably twenty years old.  But I cleaned it out and put in some fresh, and what a helpful little article it is!

In my ongoing purgings I had looked at it more than once with evil intent, but now am very glad that its pretty design prevented me from discarding it.


I just love it!

5 comments:

  1. how lovely and what a good idea! Aunt L's blog is a treasure too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute! You could put powdered sugar in it too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes, did the same thing here, looked and considered donating choc powder shaker (for cappuchinos), then thought "what a great shaker for my bread flour, when kneading, Yaay, no more stick fingers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clever. And I am a sucker for ol' family heirlooms like that. Even better when they're still in use!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, clever and beautiful! Blue and white, my favourite. :-)

    ReplyDelete