Saturday, September 20, 2014

unwrapping cucumbers for the queen, or anybody


Have you ever had trouble getting the shrink wrap off the long, hothouse cucumbers from the supermarket? I usually cut one end off and then struggle to peel off the plastic. Well, the other day I as I was wrestling with one, I ran it under the faucet for some reason - just for a moment, and can't even remember why - and that plastic slipped off so easily! Since, this method's worked for me nine times out of ten. Which came in very handy today for the cucumber sandwiches we served at the library - a Victorian Tea at which Queen Victoria herself made an appearance.

6 comments:

  1. That's a handy trick. A Victorian Tea sounds splendid indeed.
    Thank you so much for my birthday card and the lovely letter Lisa. I'm so glad to call you my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a good idea, l always make a cut into the cucumber to make a split in the plastic, but your method leaves the cucumber whole. Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tip! I'm sure it will come handy one day. :-)
    Cucumber sandwiches always put me in mind of The Importance of Being Earnest...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were the most popular sandwich at our tea.

      Delete
  4. Well, now I know that in the Czech Republic, Norway and Australia the cucumbers look the same as they do in the U.S.! The best result comes from cutting off the end and loosening it up a bit; then I guess the water will get inside and ease the removal of the plastic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! Love Cucumber sandwiches! I am sure they were fit for a Queen. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete