Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Pinterest recipes: salted brown butter chocolate chip cookie bars



I was going to do a post about how I dislike these. I made them yesterday - couldn't get the butter to brown (haven't done it in so many years, must be out of practice) - so I just gave up and used dark brown sugar instead of light, to make them look browner. I took them out of the oven at eighteen minutes like the recipe said (stupid, wasn't it?) and waited for them to cool so I could try one. After fifteen minutes all but the outer edges sank down - okay, so they weren't cooked enough. Figuring I had little to lose, I heated up the oven again and put them back in. Ten or fifteen minutes more. To my surprise the center rose up again!  So, all was well as far as that goes. But the piece I had laid heavily in my stomach and the totally saltless cookie with a salty top seemed unbalanced to me.  

That might have been the end of the story, except that my brother didn't think they were that bad, so I brought them to work today. My co-workers really liked them!  (Have I said before they'll eat anything with chocolate?  They will.)  But one of them even wanted the recipe, so I guess - well, I guess it takes all kinds. That's a good thing, though. At least I didn't have to throw them out.


2 comments:

  1. I think we are often most critical of things we make while others just enjoy them (in this case the bars!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true, but I really liked Anna's brownies - just don't care for these.

      Delete