Saturday, February 2, 2013

pancakes, ice cream, maple syrup

It was Margo's doing.

Last year she celebrated International Ice Cream for Breakfast Day, and everyone wished they'd only known!  So she kindly gave this reminder a week ago. I bought some Breyer's Black Raspberry Chocolate ice cream; I was ready.



Delicious!  Then, it was a cup of tea to still my chattering teeth.



How to Make Pancakes

Whisk together:
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup of milk*
  • 2 tablespoons of oil or melted butter
  • 2 tablespoons of sugar
  • a half teaspoon of salt
  • 2 teaspoons of baking powder
Mix together well. And while you're doing this, heat up your skillet on med-high for a few minutes. When you throw a drop of water on it, and it skids across the surface, it should be hot enough. You don't need to oil your pan when there's fat in the recipe, but your pancakes will stick when the pan isn't hot enough.

See the last picture here - I make them on the small side; they're easier to handle. Pour some batter in the pan - a ladle is good for this - and watch them until the sides look like they're setting up. Turn them carefully with a thin spatula - the first batch is most likely to stick a little but don't worry about it. Turn down the heat to medium. My pan isn't even non-stick - it isn't necessary! But it does have a thick bottom which helps to heat things evenly. 

Stand there, be vigilant; you'll get used to how they look when it's time to turn them. And you should probably get the heat down to med-low by the third group of pancakes. You don't want them to burn, and the pan is going to keep getting hotter.

Cook up the whole batch, eat what you want and freeze the rest. You can heat them in the toaster for next time. Serve with ice cream, maple syrup and tea!

*you may use buttermilk instead of milk, but also add a half teaspoon of baking soda.  

this recipe is from Martha Stewart's original tv show, way back when she was only on once a week. She may have improved on it since then, but it's okay enough for me.

3 comments:

  1. My dad's favorite treat when he was a child was waffles and ice cream. My kids think it sounds ridiculous and somehow I've never put it on their plates but really it is delicious! Next year I'll need a reminder about this wonderful day and maybe that will remind me to surprise the kiddos. :)

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodness, I would think they'd want to try it! I'll try to remember to remind you. :)

    ReplyDelete