Thursday, August 2, 2012

the clothesline

a neighbor's line - she's an earlybird

Our washing machine broke two weeks ago today. The repairman came right away and said he could fix it - and it's working now - but it was two whole weeks without one. 

Still, I was able to bring towels up the street to my neighbor's three times. My brother took a couple of loads to the machine at his shop twice. The rest of the time I was washing things in the sink, one or two loads a day, so it could have been much worse.

The day the washer broke I'd just changed the beds. I decided to wash the sheets in the sink and hang them on the line. I never use the clothesline - I just don't think of it. It takes time to hang them and time to remove them, and it just seems too time-consuming, I guess. 

Dolly watches the laundry flapping

But many women go into raptures about the wonders of a line-dried sheet, and now I'm beginning to see that.  

I have one white cotton flat sheet in particular - sometimes I actually iron it because it looks so wrinkled out of the dryer. But when I took it off the line - ahhh.  The wrinkles which come from hanging on a line - those are chic wrinkles.



 I'm still going to use the dryer. But not all the time, and especially not for sheets. 


3 comments:

  1. Oh yes! One of my favorite things. And I love that sun/wind-fresh smell in line-dried clothes. I'm sure all the flapping kept Dolly's attention. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do so love that last picture. Just lovely.

    ReplyDelete