Saturday, August 18, 2012

one very small beet

I grew a few things in containers this summer, beets among them. I oversowed with the intention of thinning, which I did, and we enjoyed some greens at the time, but I meant to thin again to about three plants later, only I never did it. Which I suppose is why the beets never amounted to anything. But I left them in the pot, not wanting to work too much in the humidity, until finally the other day I thought to pull them up, and there I found one little bitty beet.  I grated him into the (jarred) spaghetti sauce. 




I'm thinking that beets might prefer to grow in a garden, where they can send their roots further down. Better luck next time.

3 comments:

  1. I've never tried container grown beets, but plenty of garden types. I too haven't had much success, fighting the critters or the worms for the final luscious beet...I always seem to be at the short end of the stick in this race.

    love beets...sorry your didn't flourish for you.

    Kimmie
    mama to 8
    one homemade and 7 adopted

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love beets, and usually have pretty good luck with them in the garden. I sometimes make Harvard beets with them, and even pickled some a couple of years.
    I'm sorry yours didn't do as well as you were hoping.

    ReplyDelete