Friday, June 8, 2012

well, it had to happen sooner or later

I was minding my own business in the living room eating an apple, when Dolly accosted Henry. Well, she does it regularly - to keep him aware of who's boss around here. They wrangled for a few seconds only; she meowed, and hissed at him; that was different. Meowed again. He went off a few feet and she yawned.

Then I started to see it.
the smaller the picture, the less gory

Her nose was bleeding.  He'd scratched her - well, I can only be surprised it hasn't happened before this!  So, I'm following her around, dabbing at her nose, which was seeping. She seemed unconcerned, but I was concerned - concerned about the curtains, concerned about the ironing board cover, the chairs, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera.

I can hardly blame Henry, even though he won't let us close enough to clip his nails - he would never start anything with her - she is always the protagonist.  Yeah, sweet Dolly - you wouldn't believe it, would ya?

She sneezed - there was I right behind with a wet washcloth.  My co-workers insist that the cats are playing when this goes on, but I'm not convinced it's play.  I wish somebody would figure out cat behavior and write a book about it. So far, it's all speculation as far as I can tell.

Portrait of a Pusillanimous Puddy Cat 


5 comments:

  1. That would upset me too. I can't even see the scratch, so you must be taking good care of it. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it was in the nostril, Val. She seems fine today - I saw her licking Henry's face today. I don't get it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I see. I kept looking at the bridge of her nose. :) Stuffed likes to rub his head up against things-I assume most cats do--and he's rubbed off a little patch of the fur on the bridge of his nose, and it hasn't grown back probably six months later, so that's why I looked to the bridge. Cats! Who knows. :) 'Glad she seems okay today. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, my - pretty Stuffed with a furless patch? Silly fellow - he doesn't know how cute he is!
      :)

      Delete
  4. Cats are rather independent creatures! Puzzling as well. When ours was younger, he was always "attacking" the older one (by 7 years). Never any wounds that we could see, but the older one certainly voiced his disapproval! The older one has been gone for almost nine years, and the "young one" is now 20, not very motivated to attack much of anything.:)

    ReplyDelete