Thursday, March 1, 2012

a "real" snow

In my fifty six years in this New England state, I have never seen a winter like this one - consistently mild, with almost no snow. The October storm doesn't count - there was nothing normal about that one. So, I think we've had two snowfalls, each of which lasted a day or two. And temperatures are definitely higher than usual. But we finally had a real snowfall yesterday.


Only a couple of inches, but It covered everything except the roads.  (because it was a wet snow and I'm not sure the ground is very frozen this year.)

I wasn't looking forward to it. They were predicting a bit more, and everybody was complaining - we are so spoiled by this lovely winter, we've become a bunch of wimps!  But I have to say that it's very pretty, and I don't really mind it.

It's going to continue in the above-freezing temp range, so it will go soon. That's okay, too.

4 comments:

  1. I'm done with the snow. It had its chance it showed up late to the party and you know how guests who don't leave are? Ours is melted all ready.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, at least this is one guest who isn't going to outstay his welcome! ;-) Who would dare? You sound pretty ferocious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems our winter was similar. Lower temperatures sometimes, but late snow as well!

    "everybody was complaining - we are so spoiled by this lovely winter, we've become a bunch of wimps!" - that reminded me of a silly song by the Czech singer-songwriter Jaromír Nohavica, where he sings something like "there is a calamity in Prague, three centimeters of snow; four at the Museum!" That always makes me laugh, even though I already know it. We're complaining wimps, too!
    (The rest of the song deals rather with deep snow that keeps falling, though, and the troubles of an ordinary man who has to keep cleaning the sidewalk in front of his house.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That songs sounds funny - I'm tempted to look it up on youtube, but if I don't understand the language, then I guess there isn't much point....

      Delete