Thursday, November 10, 2011

{pretty, happy, funny, real} post-October snowstorm edition, part 2


I'm joining Rosie and Leila again this week for {pretty, happy, funny, real}.

Yesterday I stuck my head out to bring in the mail, and noticed, against the house, a rhododendron bud about to bloom! Today I decided to cut it and bring it in.   So, this is my {funny}


Can you believe it? How is it that it didn't bloom in May?  Anyway, it's an unexpected pleasure in the house on a gray day.

Not long ago I read in Leila's archives about a good workflow in the kitchen, and then I saw this post about some thick cloths she was making to drain the dishes on - she got the idea from SouleMama.   I made one yesterday from some less-than-useful towels, and I have four more in the works.  This is a {happy}!



I love this idea!  Now, I only need a good place to dry the wet ones, and somewhere to keep them.  One thing at a time.   Thanks, Leila!

My {real} is the big pile of brush out front -


and there's more in the back, when we have time to drag it out there. 

But the real blessing is the summery weather we've had this week, which has made post-storm clean up a lot easier.  And I did notice some {pretty} yellow leaves on a backyard tree while I was lugging limbs.








round button chicken

Thank you, Rosie, and Happy Birthday to the Marines today, too.

11 comments:

  1. Ugh, your brush pile and mine match. I'm so sad for the broken trees. But I do like that the rhody gifted you with a bloom.

    You've totally inspired me with your dishmat sewing! I never use a rack for my pots and pans, I throw them on the sink but the towel always gets so, utterly, drenched. Not only do I need some, but I bet these would make fantastic wedding presents, Christmas present and housewarming gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been thinking about making those dish draining cloths, too. Good job! I think the bloom is lovely--a little November gift for you after the snow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't nature a wonder? Enjoy your freshly picked flower.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a huge brush pile. We lost two trees in a small tornado a few years ago. I was shocked how big the pile was then.
    Blessings,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm working on our kitchen setup too. My husband recently ixnayed the drying rack--I wonder if a cloth mat might rehabilitate it?

    Your blog setup has me thinking too...a sidebar to-do list? Very neat idea! What do you do when something gets done? Hmm...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nicole, it's really a list of things which appeal to me. I would like to make them, but don't know if I ever will.

    I wish I could figure out a drying thing in this small kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that bloom! Our hibiscus blooms through the winter which I love. It gives me a bit of hope come mid-Jan. & Feb.:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I told myself when I saw the cloths before that I was going to make one (or more). I forgot. Thanks for the reminder! Enjoy your Rhody.. :)

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am rather thrilled by your profile - search for balance, jazz and brother Cadfael!! I will be watching this space. God bless

    ReplyDelete
  10. That flower is too cool. Also, I love the drying rack idea. I might have to try that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It made me happy to make the dish-drying cloths also! I find that drying them on the oven door works because it's quite warm there, or over on my drying rack (the thingy with the thingies sticking out, you know :). It's on the end of my counter...

    ReplyDelete