Friday, November 4, 2011

on my mind...

Tracy over at Sunny Corner Farm has more than once mentioned Rhonda's blog, Down to Earth. Apparently on Fridays Rhonda has something going on called "On My Mind...".   and I thought I'd join in this week.

What's on my mind today is the situation in New England, of power outages and people I know shivering in their houses all night.  I was the only one among my co-workers who hadn't lost electricity, until yesterday - now some are beginning to get it back.  It started snowing on Saturday - wet snow, because it isn't cold enough for anything drier - and it stuck in bushes and trees most of which still had all their leaves attached. It got windy overnight, and limbs and branches bent and swayed in the wind and under the weight of the heavy accumulations. You'd hear cracks. You'd suddenly notice how tall and how close to your house the trees really are. A big branch fell over the roof of my brother's nice shed. In the middle of the night a big limb went over into our neighbors yard, and it was hard to tell how far it went, or if it touched their home. Our dear little ornamental cherry bowed down under the weight.




The lights flickered many times, and I knew they'd go out at some point. But they didn't! It seems (or so everyone says) we're on the same grid as the local hospital - we almost never lose power. We went to church next day in the cold - I wore my hand warmers and kept my coat on. The library was without electricity till Wednesday, and without internet and other computer services till today. I listen to my fellow librarians talk about their 47 degree homes, M. is sleeping with a nightcap on; D. heated up water with candles so she could wash up without freezing; L. said she's been taking cold showers -  I told her she should try jumping in the ocean in winter! G. was saying she was getting teary-eyed while driving to work - it's cold, and it's wearing on her. C. has been enjoying listening to the radio! - nice jazz at night with the family.

I had several come here to shower; cooked up some hot food yesterday if anyone wanted to come to a warm house and have some  -  a couple were able to.  Some roads in a neighboring town are still impassable unless you know the area and can take another route.  For the first few days, the lines at gas stations had dozens of cars in them; I knew at least four people who got theirs in the middle of the night to avoid waiting.

And then, our power went off today, and was still off when I came home from work. I was determined to make the best of it - why should I be exempt from what all the others have been suffering? I put batteries in the lanterns, found a couple of candles and planned to dig out my thermals. But then it came back on, and I knew they'd just taken us down ifor a while in order to work on the system.

In Iraq, people set off fire bombs and car bombs. In Turkey, the earthquake.  It's not that bad here. But I found myself wishing we had some sort of way to cook food if need be.  I realized I should keep a very few candles around, just in case, and forget about the fact that I don't like fire in the house.

I was reading Rhonda's blog a little. She got to a place in her life where she realized there had to be a better way to live. There are people in this world who are trying to live more simply, and learn how to do more things for themselves. We've so gotten away from all this knowledge!  I want to learn some of it, and find the balance between what I'm able to do and what's unrealistic.

Thanks, Rhonda.  Oh, the shed is fine, and so is the cherry tree.

9 comments:

  1. Hi, In California we enjoyed a sunny, cool autumn day. It seems just too early for snow, I feel for you.
    I'm joining 'On my mind...' you, it's fun.

    http://thoughtsofgrace.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. We got up on Sunday, shoveled out and went to Mass, too. Wondrously, although almost the whole neighborhood was without power, our church's lights and heat were on. Father encouraged us to reach out to our neighbors and share our warmth.

    One positive aspect of the storm is that it has brought people together and ignited the spirit of community. This week strangers at the grocery store, the hair salon, the post office, etc., had something to talk about with each other.

    In just the past year my family has begun to take real steps toward a simpler life. Besides my little "Mary Garden" (which brings me great joy in the spring and summer), we now have raised beds for vegetables, and four laying hens. We are trying to be more conscientious about our use of gas and electricity, as well as the foods we eat and the products we buy. It is a journey that begins one small step at a time, I think.

    Lisa, I really like your blog. Your warm-hearted spirit inspires me :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Susan. You're right - people have something in common in a situation like this; it's too bad it has to be this way. We will have to try and look at it as a blessing in disguise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a good and generous person helping your friends out in their time of need.

    Thinking of you all

    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fiona - thanks. You're very kind, yourself. But, I have it, and they don't! And it was cold last night - in the 20's! There was frost on the grass. I don't know how I would take it, personally.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a hard time for everyone with all the snow, and we've been following it on the news every day.
    I'm glad your power wasn't off too long, especially in tat kind of weather, but you're such a sweet soul to cook for folks and let them come over for a warm shower.
    The weather here in Alabama is still quite mild, though we noticed today that the furnace isn't working. Time to call the real estate agent handling the property for the owner and get someone out here to see what's wrong.
    Sending good thoughts and prayers your way to you and your neighbors, and I hope things improve quickly for you all.
    God bless!

    visiting from Down To Earth

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that you offered hot food and showers. :) You're a good friend and neighbor.

    I remember telling my grandparents one time while I was a kid staying with them during a summer storm, "You guys have EVERYTHING! You could live here for weeks or months without even having to leave the house!" I don't think that now, but I remember always being impressed by the number of home-canned goods and simpler ways.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lisa, you're generous, kind, thoughtful spirit was a light this week for those of us without power. Your willingness to open your home for meals, and showers, and laundry was a blessing and I am so thankful for you and for your friendship. Thank you, dear one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, everybody. Denise, Alabama certainly had its turn during tornado season - now I guess it's our turn.

    ReplyDelete