Wednesday, November 2, 2011

handwarmer yarnalong


Because of the storm aftermath, I have a little more time for a Wednesday, and thought I'd join in with Ginny's yarnalong.  I'm knitting another pair of handwarmers, changing them a bit from the previous ones, which I finished just in time for Mass yesterday morning in a church without electricity!  I'm making these with the same yarn, but a trifle shorter; and I'm wanting to change the edging - but I'm not sure to what!  Yet.  They're very simple, knit from side to side, then sewn up with a space for thumbs.

My book is The Log of Christopher Columbus, which I've been curious about for several years. I will probably not read every word - I'm no sailor, so  may not understand it all - but I expect it to be interesting. And the cover kind of matches my yarn, doesn't it?  That wasn't planned!!

I'm also using a bookmark which happens to be from Spain - I got it from this person after she went on a cruise in the Mediterranean.  We work together.



From the book:  "In a letter to Ferdinand and Isabella written in 1501 he [Columbus] said, 'I went to sea at an early age, and there I have continued to this day; the same art inclines those who follow it to wish to know the secrets of this world....I have sailed everywhere that is navigable....Our Lord found this my desire very proper....[He]...opened my understanding with his hand, so that I became capable of sailing from here to the Indies, and He set fire to my will to carry this out, and with this fire came to your Highnesses.'"

The pattern can be found on Ravelry - the Easy Fingerless Mitts, by Roxanne Richardson.

Thank you, Ginny!

7 comments:

  1. The book sounds interesting...I'm with you though about the sailing stuff. I remember reading a wonderful book Swallows & Amazons (there's a whole series by the author Arthur Ransome) a few years ago...so many nautical terms that I was almost put off by it. It's really a nice story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh they look lovely Lisa
    and yes your wool does match your book.

    Happy knitting and reading!

    I had a look at the pattern on Ravelry and think I will download it and maybe give it a try!

    Is 10ply wool like an aran knit I wonderr or is it similar to dk,,,,,
    ignore me, just thinking and typing lol!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fabulous colour yarn, I love it!

    That book sounds interesting too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that pretty yarn! Looks like your hands will be nice and toasty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for your encouragement with my knitting trials! Your handwarmers are lovely and I especially like the orange yarn :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the colour alone will warm you up!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohh thank you for the link --these I can manage! And I agree, that color is amazing.

    ReplyDelete