Monday, September 19, 2011

black wool hat in search of a Madeline



I went up to the attic today for some reason or other and came across a bag marked "black hat". I couldn't remember any black hats in my past, but I desperately want to clear unnecessary things from this house. I was sure it must be a throwaway.

A French schoolgirl's hat!   I forgot I ever owned this (obviously).

l still think the look is cute.  


It was hard trying to photograph myself in it, though.  (Ever see a French schoolgirl with grey hair? ) 
It's terrific, but I don't have any use for it.  But I really don't want to bring it to the thrift store.   

Anybody know any French schoolgirls in need of a hat?  I'll send it along.  Seriously.

4 comments:

  1. I like the look of the hat and it attracts me a lot, but I'm not sure I could pull it off. I mean, I think I can totally pull off a schoolgirl look (stockings! knee-length skirts! headbands!) but I'm not sure I can do that with black. But it would go well with my beloved black low-heeled shoes.
    What is its circumference? I have a bit of a big head.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hana, it's hard to measure around the inside by myself. Around the outside, which is including the ribbon (and bow) it's 22". The inside diameter (it's not round) is six and a half inches across, seven inches the long way. There's an elastic to go under the chin! I can only wear it on the back of my head, so it may not fit yours. But I'll send it anyway, if you like it.
    The inside says "Peachfelt 100% wool Geo. W. Bollman & Co. USA"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I missed this! How nice to see you!! :) That hat is sweet. If you don't want to hang it on a wall or otherwise keep it, a local school or theater would likely love it for costumes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! I found a taker, Val - Hana is getting it. But I did think it would do for a costume if no one wanted it.

    ReplyDelete