Friday, August 26, 2011

getting the pantry into shape

This little shelf out of a clementine box is what gave me the idea. But not at first. I wasn't quite clear on why Leila would think it a good thing to make a little shelf-within-a-shelf. But I've been slowly going through the basement closet areas, and now I'm in the pantry, and...

the shelves are rather large, and things tend to get spread out.  While I was working on the "baking stuff" shelf, I suddenly had a flash of understanding about her little idea, and ran upstairs to the pile which I'm saving for the thrift store. I grabbed a couple of plastic "boxes", and put the extra herbs and spices in them.
Hoorah!! Now that they're corralled together, I'll be far less likely to buy yet another oregano, because my extra one is in a sensible place, together with others of its kind.

You see those two blue, stripey things? They're just right for the spices. And there's a wider one behind for other, similar things.  They're not shelves like Leila's, but it's the same concept. Small things get swallowed up on a large shelf.

Hello!

6 comments:

  1. Great idea and perfect use! I love Leila's tips too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you and yours are safe up there. And organization is always good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You, too, Val - you, too! I was just thinking about you. I do not look forward to this storm. It's just beginning to rain in earnest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We aren't getting much of the storm at all here, Lisa. I's supposed to rain tomorrow, but southwestern PA is just too far from the coast for this one to affect us much, I think. So, others, including you, :) will be in my prayers and thoughts this weekend instead.

    ReplyDelete
  5. THANK YOU, Val! It's all appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  6. True! We, too, have smaller boxes and... organisers... in our shelves. For spices and things like that. It helps. But I never thought about it until this post!

    ReplyDelete