Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Edith and Corrie

Today was the feast of St. Teresa Benedicta of the Cross, or, Edith Stein.


Brought up an orthodox Jew but losing her belief in God by her teens, she studied philosophy in university where she became a Christian, and then later, a Catholic.  Eventually, a Carmelite nun. She ended up in Auschwitz, where she died, probably on this date, in 1942.

Today also happens to be Tisha b'Av in the Jewish calendar - the saddest day of the year because of the destruction of the two temples, which occurred both times on this date in history. It's customary to read the book of Lamentations on this day.


I was up too late last night, finishing The Hiding Place, by Corrie Ten Boom.  Brought to a concentration camp with her sister, because they were suspected of hiding Jews (which they did). Her sister died there.


A couple of Protestant friends recommended it to me several times - I finally got around to it. It would be hard to imagine a more devout and faithful Christian family, whose beliefs spilled over into their actions so much that even as they suffered terribly for their protection of Jewish people, they never regretted it.  If you consider yourself a Christian, read it!  Apparently, Corrie Ten Boom was released from Ravensbruck by "accident"; a week later all female inmates her age were gassed.

4 comments:

  1. Hi, Lisa!
    Just stopping by to let you know your parcel is in the mail. Could you please let me know when it arrives?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to read the "Hiding Place.

    In general, I have been meaning to do a study on the martyrs of Christ. I just haven't been able to get it all together in this area. I am sure I would be very encouraged through lots of tears!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I've only read a children's version of the life of Corrie Ten Boom, many years ago. I really need to read "The Hiding Place", incredible story.

    ReplyDelete