Saturday, July 30, 2011

on the island: trees and flowers

Without being very knowledgeable about varieties of trees, I saw some unusual-looking things growing on the island, and took pictures of everything pretty.

As soon as we arrived we spotted a picnic table, but in the sun. We then found some folding chairs under this

and a fellow sitting there said there was a writers' conference going on. He let us take some chairs.


there were hydrangeas everywhere that day


these "standing" stones made a pretty wall  


globe thistle - lovely!


 St. Francis




this tree was very impressive looking with its pink blossoms 

I pulled a branch down to get a better view. I later learned it's a mimosa.

 There was a small tree right near it which had a thick trunk,  so I suppose it was old. It  had very large leaves



and there were little white blossoms underneath! I wish I knew what it was.

There was a fountain,



a cross of flowers, 



and a reflecting pool, where a sparrow posed for me.


We stopped by the gift shop, which was across a hall from some conference rooms.

this sign was on one of the doors

Then I noticed an empty box near the gift shop area -



so I guess there were some famous writers there!

(Yes, I work in a library. No, I've never read anything by either of those two.) 


Back home, I wanted to know what that fantastic pink tree was. It seemed to have a tropical air, so I tried to think of tropical-type trees I'd heard of.  I googled an image of a jacaranda - that wasn't it. But then I saw some text with a mention of mimosa, so I tried that. And it turns out that's what it was!  Such a romantic sounding name for a tree, or anything.

Then I also discovered that it's a pest in Florida. So much for romance.


A beautiful day - and one more set of pictures coming.



4 comments:

  1. That flower cross is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The flowers in it look familiar, but I can't place them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the pictures are absolutely beautiful. what a pretty retreat to visit. is it open to the public or do you know someone that let you come in?

    ReplyDelete
  4. My brother had been there before, but we don't have any contacts there. We just went!

    ReplyDelete