Thursday, March 24, 2011

sanbusak



We're having a get-together after work tomorrow, and I'm working all day. I had to make something today, and really wanted *real* food, but one which could be made a day ahead and still be good. 

Going through my recipe box, I came upon something I haven't made in years - a middle eastern hand-pastry. It's called sanbusak in Egypt, Syria and Lebanon, and borek in Turkey, according to a middle eastern cookbook by Claudia Roden which I don't have any more - but I did save this recipe!

I baked up a batch with a spinach filling



which has sauteed onion, then pine nuts and raisins added to it.  There was some left over, so I made another batch of dough; and added feta and cottage cheese to the spinach mix, and dill weed and parsley.  Brush with egg before baking.




You can either roll out the dough or roll little balls, then flatten them. I did the latter, which is why some aren't so smooth and neat looking.   But they taste good, because I ate a few!



Sanbusak - look it up! 

6 comments:

  1. oh... if I could only pluck just one of them out of the comptuer screen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, these look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this recipe. Definitely something I will try! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They were excellent! Thanks so much for bringing such a delicious offering =]

    ReplyDelete
  5. I may as well say that the dough recipe is as follows:
    Take 1/2 c. oil, put one stick of butter in it and heat in a small saucepan till the butter melts. Put in bowl.
    Add 1/2 c. warm water with 1 tsp. salt dissolved in it.
    Begin to add 3 1/2 c. flour, mixing gently with hands.

    I added all the flour, then mixed. I'm thinking I should have done it a little at a time. It may not have needed quite the whole flour amount.

    I'm also wondering if I can substitute my pie crust dough, which I make with all oil.

    They bake at 350 for 35 mins. or so. I imagine you can fill them with anything!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the dough recipe - those look fantastic and something we would all enjoy!

    ReplyDelete