Thursday, February 24, 2011

a "new" skirt

But do I like it? - that is the question.

I had an a-line skirt which I'd made from some oatmeal colored cotton flannel - it was okay, but every time I put it on, I would tell myself that it looked like pajama fabric - I guess because the color was so light. It was very blah.

The last time I washed it, the hem was coming undone. This was my chance to alter it!  I thought adding a flounce might be nice, so I poked around for some more flannel in my stash. The only thing I came up with was a blue and white plaid. Now, the original was oatmeal, and the plaid has white in it - they didn't look good together, but something kept telling me to go ahead and do it anyway, and see what happened.


You can see that it doesn't look like much here.  But there's a bit of black in that plaid, and I had black rickrack, so I thought it might help.



And, it did!   It was too long - I really prefer long, but it doesn't always look best, so I cut off about half of the flounce and hemmed it.  

There's a big expanse of the light-colored, plain upper section, and then the colorful plaid beneath.  I almost stole this idea from Anna, but her little flowers are tone-on-tone - mine were going to be cut from the plaid - it seemed a bit much; I thought better of it.


I don't really like it. If I saw this in a thrift store, I'd think This is definitely home made, and I'd never buy it.
(not that I avoid handmade things at the thrift store, but some items really "look it".)  But I think I should wear it at least once, and try to make an outfit out of it.

So I'll wear it to work tomorrow, and see how I make it through the day. See what funny looks I get from my co-workers.

6 comments:

  1. Aww. Maybe it can be a re-do if you decided you don't like it. I think it is cute. I suppose it depends on what it looks like on though and if it makes you feel comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, Carmen - I may get used to it after I wear it once. Sometimes you get ideas in your head of what you like, etc., and there's no room in there for something new. It almost seems loud to me, and I *am* 55, not a young thing like you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa, I know what you mean - I feel stuck sometimes between fashions. I like the skirt though, I'm interested to hear how you feel about it after a day of wearing it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's the story - I think it would look good with a black top, but I wore that on Wednesday, so I put on an off-white long-sleeved tee, and a sky blue cardigan from a twinset with a black patent leather skinny belt (I've seen the skinny belt-over-a-sweater look in Garnet Hill and I like it). I was putting on my makeup and noticed a spot on the sweater! I had to change; there wasn't anything else I had which would go with the skirt.
    I'll have to try again next week! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like it. The ric rac makes it look fun and sassy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, you may see me in it come Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete