Thursday, February 3, 2011

a lean week: Thursday night supper

Tonight, I made Polish Barley Soup which is very nice with an egg sandwich.


It's from this cookbook, A Year of Monastery Soups, by Brother Victor-Antoine d'Avila-Latourrette.


It's a good cookbook - the soups make large amounts, which is a nice thing.


This particular recipe is funny, though - I end up, in the course of the cooking time, adding about two quarts more of water than what I began with, and it's not called for in the recipe.  I've made it innumerable times, and have found that the barley doesn't seem to cook properly once the liquid starts looking starchy. So, when I make this I have to "hover", checking it often and adding water often.  I've tried ignoring it - the soup takes twice as long to cook. I've tried adding the extra water at the beginning so I wouldn't have to fuss - it ended up being watery!  An odd thing.  But we really like it.  And I tend to "hover" over soup, anyway.

So. It's good.


4 comments:

  1. how do you make your egg sandwich?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's basically scrambled, with LOTS of chives in it. My mother used to make them that way, and it tastes great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, another one I'd love. I have that cookbook and the one for salads, I enjoy them both and have even given them as gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, I saw a recipe almost exactly like this one in another cookbook, and it was an Italian barley soup! No turnips, and olive oil rather than canola oil.

    ReplyDelete