Tuesday, February 8, 2011

felted lambswool mittens

These are lambswool, but I sewed them, from the lambswool sweater I'd bought a while back, and felted.


My instructions are from Sew Pretty Christmas Homestyle - wanting to make something from this book during the holidays, I chose these. I thought the felted sweater would work better than plain felt, and I was right - I really like them!

There's a seam on the palm side, which makes the thumb move more easily, I think.


I was able to use the ribbing in the cuff area.  I sewed them by hand, because in my haste when cutting I forgot to include a seam allowance. Counting on the fact that my hands are on the small side, I figured it would work out if I carefully stitched it with a very small seam by hand. They fit fine!

They were adorned with fabric yo-yos, which I wasn't too keen on, but couldn't think of any other decoration, so I went with them.



And found some pearly buttons for the centers. They've been hanging around a while like this, because I've been meaning to add embroidery, but today I decided the heck with it - I'm wearing them!  It was snowing, and I like mittens with my snow.

3 comments:

  1. Ooh , I love it, they are so wonderful! I have that book and have yet to make a project out of it! These may just be put on my list, so very perfect for the weather we are having!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, ladies. Kathryn, make them - they're so easy!

    ReplyDelete