Thursday, January 6, 2011

thoughts on Epiphany, and other things

January 6th is the feast of Epiphany, which commemorates when the three kings, or wise men, arrived in Bethlehem to see the baby whose birth they'd been waiting for. It isn't made a big deal of in this country like in Europe - at least, that's what I understand. But the kings were foreigners, and as such they represent all non-Jewish followers of Jesus - myself, for one; it's an important occasion.  I took the electric candles out of our front window today, because there's no need for them anymore - Mary and Joseph found their way to Bethlehem, and so did the wise men. But all the other Christmas cheerfulness is going to stay around for another week or so in this house.

When I was a child, oh, how I loved Christmas! But, when I awoke on Christmas morning, as far as I was concerned, it was all over. The presents were secondary; I was deflated. It wasn't until I was older and able to analyze my feelings that I understood a little better - what I loved about Christmas was the feeling in the air, the uplifting and cheerful music, the joyfulness in people (I'm not sure that's still the case anymore, but it used to be), all the shine and sparkle. But Christmas morning was the beginning of the end of all that, and I was miserable over it.

When I began working, I was a nurses' aide for a while on second shift. We had to work either Christmas Eve or Day - I chose Christmas Day - of course!  I could distract myself from my low spirits, and try to be cheerful with the patients. I didn't mind missing the trip to the relatives - I didn't like any of it. The magic was over at that point.

Then, one year we were tuned in to a local Catholic-run radio station which started playing Christmas music in earnest on Christmas Eve, and continued it for twelve days! The joy didn't have to end so soon; that *flat* feeling didn't come! And that was the beginning, for me, of a deeper and more meaningful enjoyment of Christmas.

How is it possible to enter into it properly beforehand when there is so much to be done? Shopping (unless you Christmas shop all year - which I used to do, by the way), baking, visiting, decorating. And the music, which is so important to really take time to listen to - but, when?? It isn't always possible. But it is afterward!

The outward trappings of Christmas have very little to do with the belief that the Son of God was born into this world to save us from our sinfulness, our Egypt. If Christians required all these decorations in order to appreciate what the holiday means, it would be unfortunate. Years ago I had little faith, and that was certainly part of my problem. But these outward trappings of the season have arisen out of centuries of joy in a true belief in what this season means, and so there's nothing wrong with them if you keep that in mind.

Yesterday, I put away the shepherds and got out the three kings. So, should I take the tree down? Why? The kings need to stick around for a while - they've had a long trip. The tree can stay for another week or so; it's beautiful. It has little to do with Christ's birth, but it represents the overwhelming joyfulness and beauty which are part of the gifts of this season. A few years ago I read that in the Middle Ages they kept some holiday greenery around till the beginning of February. This may be a leftover of the old pagan practices, or perhaps they just wanted something around to remind them of Christmas during the long, dark days of winter. I heard just recently that at the Vatican they keep their tree up (an outdoor one, I think) till early February, following that ancient custom. How important is Christ's birth? Immeasureably!  I am so enjoying listening to the music and being able to meditate on the meaning of this season, I'm in no hurry to put an end to it. 

I have no criticism of others who take down their trees, etc. earlier than we do - everyone is different, and for good reason.  But such a majorly important thing!  why hurry to put it all away?

"Mild He lays His glory by,
Born that man no more may die,
Born to raise the sons of earth,
Born to give them second birth"

-   Hark, the Herald Angels Sing


"I wonder as I wander out under the sky,
how Jesus, the Saviour, did come for to die.
For poor ornery people like you and like I"

-   I Wonder as I Wander


                                                                                   

8 comments:

  1. I really understood what you've shared here. I grew up with much the same reaction to Christmas. When I converted to Catholicism and learned the true meaning of the 12 days of Christmas I embraced it fully, and love sharing in 'carnival' with my children. Maria Von Trap writes a great deal on this and her suggestions and traditions are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You love Maria von Trapp so much - I must make time to continue with more of her writings! And I'm glad to read your comments - I was wondering if I'd get any feedback with this post, but it was something I felt compelled to say.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree - I wish that more people celebrated the full 12 days of Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The way most folks live the spirit of "pre-Christmas", it's no wonder they're sick of the whole thing by Christmas Day. But you have to be able to say no to a lot of it. I recall with admiration that you had much done by the beginning of Advent, which enabled you to appreciate it! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes, yes, yes. i still have my smaller trees up and the lights bring me much joy on dark winter nights. i'm still listening to some Christmas music, and have continued to work on some knitting projects for the Christmas holiday next year. i absolutely agree with what you said about all the things you like about the holiday season. i wish it could last all year long.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There's one small consolation about that - if it did, we couldn't possibly appreciate it as much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not Catholic. And I don't know what the 12 days of Christmas are - never heard of it until I got into English and Sheakespeare's Twelfth Night and such - but we never put the Christmas tree down before Janurary 6th, so I guess a bit of that tradition is still living here. In the Czech Republic, I believe, most people don't decorate their trees until Christmas, and they stay after Christmas. So I can very much relate to this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, the twelve days are supposed to signify the time it took for the three kings to get there.
    I recently heard someone say on the radio, "You wouldn't celebrate the birth of a baby before it's born, would you?" But in this country, Christmas decorations appear after Halloween, and the minute Christmas Day is over, the holiday music on the radio stops (on 99.9% of stations), and decorations are down right after New Year's.
    I love it all so much, that I start at the beginning of Advent, and go through till mid January. 6 or 7 weeks.

    ReplyDelete