Thursday, January 27, 2011

ice and snow, bless the Lord

We had a lot of snow overnight - the amounts were a bit of a surprise, over a foot, close to a foot and a half, maybe?  My brother does most of the cleanup, with his snowblower; I do a little. But we already had over a foot of the stuff on the ground.

My radio's weatherman says this pattern will persist at least through the middle of February. We're scheduled for another snow on Tuesday, and we already have a little dripping here and there inside the house from the wet. When we get more, where will it go? 

I keep telling myself that people who live in Minnesota, North Dakota, Canada, live with this every year. But it's a bit scary.

Then, I came upon Ann Voskamp's post this morning about snow - she said,  "Winter's whispering. I am listening."  That struck me.  I realized - I should say "remembered" - that there's always another way to look at things.      What are you gonna do?  It is what it is.

Try and make something good of it, like Anna's favorite Grace Livingston Hill heroines always do.


And, out of all the pictures I took this morning - in between shoveling - there emerged a pretty view in a corner of the back yard. 

O ye frost and cold, bless the Lord; praise and exalt him above all forever.
O ye ice and snow, bless the Lord; praise and exalt him above all forever.

                                            Daniel 3: 70-71
                                                                                 

4 comments:

  1. I adore GLH books. I have many first hardback editions from my Grandmother and Great Aunt.

    The pictures are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Carmen. :) I'll be ready for another GLH when I've finished with "Dr. Zhivago" - an important book, but painful to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I missed this post this winter. That photo is gorgeous--I can almost smell the cold air!

    My mom loves Dr. Zhivago too--the movie, anyway. I have seen parts of it--likely most of it, as many times as she watched it while I was growing up--but have neither read it nor seen the entire film (in order/in its entirety). The Daffodils and Laura's little house always get me, and yes...painful. But I should read it sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Val, I've never seen the movie. And I had no idea that it was about the Bolshevik Revolution era - I thought it was some earlier time. Ignorance! I'm glad I read it.

    ReplyDelete