Monday, November 22, 2010

a quilting project

I've been working on this for a while


Using only fabric - and buttons - already in the house.


I got the idea from an issue of Country Living magazine, showing some lovely pillowcases designed by Cath Kidston.


She fused two or three sizes of fabric circles onto a white cotton pillowcase, trimmed with lace edging.


It was charming, and I thought to use the idea in a quilt (I'm not a quilter, by the way!), but didn't want the stiffness which the fusible web would cause, so I zigzagged around my circles.


It's not terribly neat looking, I admit. But beginners shouldn't expect their efforts to be flawless.
And then I got the idea for the buttons from one of Jane Brocket's books - we have so many of these little shirt buttons hanging around forever.


I'm almost finished with sewing on buttons; then I'll start on the quilting.


I'm not a perfectionist. It will be a cheerful and warm thing in the house.


I'm using gold colored thread on them all because the backing is a scene of the ocean, much blue and white, with sailboats all over the place, and there's this golden yellow in them. It matched, and I didn't have to buy it - I had it already, which was the object. It's a little here, a little there. I have other projects which are more timely, so this is in the background, to pick up now and then.      

I used fabric from the living room curtains, some old jumpers of mine - and two of them were from blouses of my mother's - that's nice.                                                                                                                                       
                                                                                 
                                                                                                                                                     
                                                                            
                                                                        

4 comments:

  1. I love it already. I can't wait to see more of this project. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Val - but the zigzagging does give it a very messy look; I didn't want to get into appliqueing - too much work! We'll see how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa, is this done? I'd love to see the final thing. The buttons are placed so ingenuously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, God bless you Margo - ha! This is the one thing which, for some reason, hangs forever on a chair in the hallway, and which I just leave there while picking it up once every several months.

      I am getting to the point where I want to add some stitching in the empty areas, and I am not quite sure how that will go. I picture blue thread in swirling eddies in and around all the circles, and that whole idea fills me with trepidation! Meanwhile I'm doing other smaller quilting projects, so perhaps these will give me more experience so I can finish this one. *sigh*

      Delete