Saturday, November 20, 2010

inhabit-ing

Over at the little list something is going on called {inhabit} - a reminder and encouragement, now that winter is upon us, to "be" in our homes and with our families, not to just "do".  Or, when "doing", to do with peace, with patience, with love, with intentions of doing something meaningful, rather than just necessary.  To take time to stop and smell the - what?  apple cider   allspice   pumpkin pie   late-blooming roses

I guess we're just going to try to get a little better at it. 


I'm trying to make a voile skirt, but my sewing machine doesn't work right with light weight fabrics, so I'm sewing it by hand.  A little here, a little there, and it will get done; but not in a hurry. It's been a while since I've done this, but it's a quiet thing to do, and I like it. It's making me think that I should pick up some knitting again, when I'd quite decided to resist the idea.  


                                                                       

5 comments:

  1. My sewing machine decided not to cooperate some time ago, and I'm too lazy to try to fix it, so I'm sewing everything by hand now... It's more work (the old truth about the results of laziness), but it's also much more relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's too bad, Hana - mine only gives trouble with fine weight fabric; it makes all the seams puckered - as if I wanted to gather everything.

    On another note, I'm making the salmon patties again today, and will bake them in the oven, as you did. We'll see!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never baked the salmon patties, but they've been a staple in our home since I was a little girl (I use my Mom's recipe). I love that fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks - it's Anna Maria Horner's voile - nice quality. The color isn't right, though; it's brighter yellow, less greenish-looking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought it was fine fabric, but it just kept tangling the thread and tearing it and generally doing things I did not want it to do... so I gave up in the end. I still believe it should be fixable, but I have not mustered the courage yet...

    Voile skirt sounds great. Very pleasant to wear, I imagine!

    ReplyDelete